Saturday, November 10, 2007

On Fat Kids

A thin woman was expressing concern about her young daughter, who was just entering junior high. The daughter has become a little chubby, and mom doesn't know what to do about that. Should they have frank talks about nutrition? Should she try to restrict her daughter's food?

That's a start, I guess. Asking the right questions. Because here is the truth: there is nothing she can do. If her daughter wants to be fat, she will become fat. If she doesn't consciously want to become fat, she still might become fat.

Is it harder to love a fat daughter?

I mean, the girl can control that, right? She should be able to control that, shouldn't she? Should mom try to teach her control?
If she had been born without a leg, or with Down's Syndrome, or freckles, whatever, well, those things aren't controllable. But being fat, that's a choice.

So, is it harder for a thin mom to love a fat daughter? Is she disappointed? Or genuinely concerned?

And here's another thing: I wonder what that 14 year old girl's generation will think of being fat. When I was in grade school, there were maybe 3 fat kids in any class. But now, what, at least a quarter of the kids are overweight? So will it seem much more normal to them to be a little bigger/softer/rounder, or will they still worship the elusive stick?

We are starting to become obsessed with our health, as a country, I think. I'm hoping we don't become a fat nation; I'd much prefer that we become healthy and happy.

But what should mom do about her daughter?

I don't have kids, so this is a challenge for me. I have to give it more thought.

For me, my memories suggest that I was a reasonably happy child. Everyone else was far more concerned with my weight than I was. I'll have to find some pics and post them here.

To be continued.

No comments:

Google